
I can still remember the immense pain I felt as I said goodbye to my wife, the lump rising in my throat as I bent down to kiss both of my children. As I was getting on the boat, I looked back once more at my family standing behind me. Even though they were crying, I could still see the pride on their faces. It was at this moment when I realized this was not a time to be sad, but a time to be proud and brave.
I was born into a military family. Throughout my childhood, I had aspired to be just like my father and join the navy. I loved the idea of serving my country, yet I knew how difficult it could be. I specifically recall saying goodbye to my own father as he left for war, not realizing that that would be the last time I would ever see him. This memory flooded my mind when I was informed that I, too, would soon be leaving my family to serve the country. When I first told my wife of my upcoming departure, she was filled with anger. Her feelings soon turned to sadness and worry. “What are we going to do? How are we going to tell the kids?” she had wondered. Ultimately, though, she was overcome with a sense of pride, the same pride that shone through as she watched the boat sail away that morning.
Now that I was on the boat, I mimicked that same look of pride. On the inside, I had mixed emotions yet I realized that it was time to be courageous and devoted to my country. I looked up at the flag and saluted as the crowds of people who were waving goodbye became tiny specs in the distance.
I was born into a military family. Throughout my childhood, I had aspired to be just like my father and join the navy. I loved the idea of serving my country, yet I knew how difficult it could be. I specifically recall saying goodbye to my own father as he left for war, not realizing that that would be the last time I would ever see him. This memory flooded my mind when I was informed that I, too, would soon be leaving my family to serve the country. When I first told my wife of my upcoming departure, she was filled with anger. Her feelings soon turned to sadness and worry. “What are we going to do? How are we going to tell the kids?” she had wondered. Ultimately, though, she was overcome with a sense of pride, the same pride that shone through as she watched the boat sail away that morning.
Now that I was on the boat, I mimicked that same look of pride. On the inside, I had mixed emotions yet I realized that it was time to be courageous and devoted to my country. I looked up at the flag and saluted as the crowds of people who were waving goodbye became tiny specs in the distance.
No comments:
Post a Comment